Continuing medical education and continuous professional development (CME / CPD) is a continuous life-long learning process for Fellows of the Academy and comprises activities that serve to:
- maintain, develop or increase the knowledge, skills and competencies relevant to the practice of Fellows that may change over the years;
- enhance professional performance to enable the delivery of quality professional care and safe standard of practice to the patients, and public that Fellows serve, and;
- ensure that Fellows will remain competent throughout their professional career.
The Academy is the only statutory body in Hong Kong with the authority to determine whether a registered medical practitioner or dentist on the Specialist Register of the Medical Council of Hong Kong or the Dental Council of Hong Kong has fulfilled the CME / CPD requirements. Fulfilment of CME / CPD requirements is mandatory for Fellows of the Academy requiring their names to be included in the Specialist Register. The minimum CME / CPD requirement is 90 points in a 3-year cycle.
Accredited activities may include:
- Participation as an attendee in FCAA
- Chairing / presenting at FCAA
- Self study
- Development of new technologies or services
- Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
- Conducting examinations
- Postgraduate courses
- Development of CME / CPD or knowledge-translation materials
- Quality assurance and audits
- Activities for improvement of patient / medical care
- Grand rounds in training units
- Reviewers of Hong Kong Medical Journal (HKMJ), journals of Academy Colleges, and indexed journals
- Hands-on clinical attachment programme
- Other non-medical professional development activities
Exemption from fulfilment of CME / CPD requirements may be considered by the Academy if the Fellows:
- retire from active practice; or
- suffer from acute / prolonged illness and permanent disability.
Non-compliance That Is Remediable
A Fellow must:
- have achieved not less than two-thirds of the required number of points for a cycle; or
- be certified to have suffered from a medical condition which the Academy Council considers as a reasonable cause for the CME / CPD non-compliance.
The Academy may, at its discretion, accept other conditions if supported by the College of the Fellow on reasonable grounds.
Non-compliance That Is Not Remediable
For Fellows who have obtained less than two-thirds of the required number of points for a cycle without acceptable reasons, a recommendation for Fellowship suspension will be made. Reinstatement of Fellowship shall be subject to the conditions stipulated in the Academy policy paper entitled “Reinstatement of Fellowship”.
A Fellow shall be certified to have fulfilled the CME/CPD requirements for the purpose of Specialist Registration, as long as he / she has obtained the required number of points for a cycle.
View and download